LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My wife is Disabled (perm.) but has little work story. I

Customer Question

My wife is Disabled (perm.) but has little work history. I have a lot of work History. Can I put Her under my SS# ***** benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your wife may qualify for a spouse retirement benefit based on your lifetime earnings if you have been married at least a year, there is not a similar benefit allowed for a disabled wife to make a disability claim based on her husband's earning history.

For your wife to be eligible to make a spouse claim, she must be at least 62 years old and you must either be already receiving your own social security retirement benefit, or if you are over 66 you may file for benefits and then suspend your application if you don't want to collect your benefit quite yet.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug