Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband died in 2007 at age 44. I received benefits 2

Customer Question

My husband died in 2007 at age 44. I received benefits for my 2 children and myself until my oldest dropped off at 18 and I dropped off when my youngest turned 16. He turns 18 in October so will continue receiving social security until he graduates in May. That is my background. My question is: Am I eligible for widows benefits when my husband would have been eligible at age 62? My husband was born February 8, 1963. Even though I worked 20 years, he earned far more and paid more into social security.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi

...

So sorry, but the age you can begin to receive widow's benefits are based on you own age

...

From Social Security Administration:

"Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age as a survivor."

...

You can read more about that here

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/survivorchartred.html

...

Let me know if you have other questions on this.

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s how we’re credited for the work here.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the earliest I can apply for his benefits at my age of 62? Or is it 60? I will not receive my benefits, only his, should I choose to do so, and those benefits would continue until my death (or Social Security runs out of money). Correct?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

60 ... And yes, will continue for the rest of your life

...

Also if you understand how the government monkeys with the numbers, SS has been out of money for years.

...

BUT the benefit's not going anywhere - the first baby boomer turned 60 a few years ago and letting social security stop is something this rapidly growing segment of voters and lobby group (AARP for example) is not going to let happen ... there are many politicians already running on that as their main platform.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I have been providing Social Security advice and maximization planning for 30 years as a CFP practitioner (... know it well)

...

But again, you see the proof of the age 60 piece on the Social Security's web site I linked for you.

...

Hope this has helped

...

Lane

...

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's sort of good news, I'm 55 now (married a younger man) so five more years and I can start collecting that non-existent, but still existent, money that's supposedly there...somewhere...hopefully...maybe...HAVE FAITH! It's the United States Government! Have they ever let you down? Sorry for the diatribe and thanks for your help! Have a great day! Mary Flagg
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome Mary

...

If this HAS helped, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated! … That’s how we’re credited for the work here.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question, is it best to physically go into the Social Security Office? I've been there before, so not a problem, but WHEN should I go in? A month or two before I turn 60? What kind of documentation do I need to bring? My deceased husbands Death Certificate? Birth Certificate? Social Security Card? Other docs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marriage Certificate?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

go in three months before turning 60

...

And see this from SSA:

..,

• Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate

Important

We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)

Do not delay filing your claim just because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hope this has helped

...

If this HAS helped, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid.

...

Thanks,

Lane