LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am an employee at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Customer Question

I am an employee at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in Honolulu, Hawaii, and began working for VA in October 1979. While at the VA as a CSRS employee, I was a reservist performing two-week annual training until April 2000.
Does Social Security include the earnings I received during the periods of my two-week Annual Training from October 1979 to April 2000 in its calculation of my Social Security benefit upon my retirement at age 65?
How can I find out if my earnings as a reservist was included in such calculation?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Since 1988 social security taxes have been withheld from reservist pay. The military reports both your pay and withholds federal tax and social security taxes from that pay.

You can ensure that you are getting credit for those taxes paid by looking at your social security statement, which you can do online. You may see this document using your online “my Social Security” account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit, and income earned on which you paid social security taxes and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site:

http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug