LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

What are the benefits child who has lost a parent?

Customer Question

what are the benefits for a child who has lost a parent?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under present social security laws, a child whose parent dies is eligible for a survivor benefit based on the lifetime earnings of the deceased parent. The child receives up to 75% of the amount of the deceased parent's full retirement benefit as of their death. The remaining parent also is eligible to receive a caretaker benefit of 75% as well while they care for the child receiving the survivor benefit. Eligibility for these benefits begins the month following the death of the parent.

The child benefit is payable until age 18, and as long as 19 and 2 months if the child is still in high school, while the caretaker benefit is payable to the parent until the child reaches the age of 16.

To apply for the child survivor benefit and the caretaker benefit the surviving parent will need to apply to their local social security office and show a copy of the child's birth certificate and a copy of the death certificate, and the staff at social security will process the survivor claim and caretaker claim for benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug