Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife worked service 18 + years, October 1966 thru

Customer Question

My wife worked for civil service 18 + years, October 1966 thru 06/17/74 and Nov 1981 thru Jan 12, 1991 when she resigned. The withholding by CSRS has not been withdrawn. She also worked in the private sector since July, 2002 She qualified for SS retirement benefits. She applied a few months prior to full retirement age of 66 and receives slightly reduced Social Security retirement. She continues working in the private sector and paying SS tax.
We were told by someone that she could not draw any retirement from CSRS because she did not have in the required 29 years for CSRS retirement and should apply for a return of her contribution of CSRS ($10,595.00). In any event she has not yet withdrawn the CSRS contributions. While contemplating doing so I read on a Civil Service Office 0f Personnel site that one can receive a benefit from CSRS if employed over 5 years and had not withdrawn the money. What say you? Thanks Richard.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

That's right. She has the option of either withdrawing the money OR taking a deferred annuity if she had 5 years in.

...

That cannot happen until she attains age 62, however

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Also, from here: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/fers-information/types-of-retirement/#url=Deferred-Retirement (likely what you saw)

...

Age and Service Requirements

You are eligible for a deferred annuity if you meet one of the following age and service requirements:

• You have completed at least 5 years of creditable civilian service, then you are eligible for a deferred annuity beginning the first day of the month after you reach age 62

...

Hope this helps

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

OK still don't see you coming back into the chat here

...

Let me know if you have more questions

...

But if this HAS helped, and you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's the only way I'll be credited for the work here)

...

Thanks,

Lane