LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My SS payment is $2754 after tax withholding and my spouse

Customer Question

My SS payment is $2754 after tax withholding and my spouse is getting $957 after tax withholding. My question is why doesn't my spouse get 50% of my payment?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While there are several reasons that a spouse benefit may be less than 50% of the benefit received by the worker, the most common reason for that is that the spouse taking the spouse benefit either began taking their own benefit before full retirement age, or that they applied for a spouse benefit before reaching full retirement age.

50% is the maximum that a spouse benefit may be. But for example, a person may apply for a spouse benefit as early as age 62, (4 full years before full retirement age) and in that case, at 62 they would be entitled to only 35% of the full retirement age benefit of the other spouse---not the 50%.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug