Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

I am a widow of 3 years and I was told that I could get some

Customer Question

I am a widow of 3 years and I was told that I could get some of my husband social security until I turn of age to retire and collect my own social security, is that correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my goal here is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer possible.

Yes, you can qualify to collect survivor's benefits before your full retirement benefits. You can visit this page on the Social Security benefits for more information: http://goo.gl/7Em1pT. A widow can claim benefits as early as age 60 if she is not caring for any children, though the benefit will be reduced, or age 50 is she has a disability. In addition, if she is caring for any children, she and the minor children can collect survivor's benefits earlier than those ages. To apply for benefit you can follow this link: http://goo.gl/px335G to find how to contact Social Security. Finally, I have attached a pdf pamphlet from Social Security regarding survivor's benefits.

Once she reaches her retirement age, you can apply for benefits based upon your own record and you may receive a higher amount, especially if she have been working longer than her husband.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan