Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions, experienced business attorney.
18572087

I wish to marry a woman who is 55yrs old and receiving

Customer Question

I wish to marry a woman who is 55yrs old and receiving disability. She says if she marries, or even shares a joint account, or credit card she will lose everything. How can she be covered so we can be married ($20,000 in meds each year ) She is a cancer transparent survivor and may live for months or years. we don't know. How can I protect her on a teacher's retirement and afford the meds and medical team that is crucial to her life?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, in what state are you hoping to marry and reside in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I got an important phone call.

Ah, I was afraid of that. California is known as a 'community property' state when it comes to marriages and assets. As such, if you do marry, your income will figure into her eligibility. Ad yes, if her name goes on joint accounts, it will affect her ability to receive medication. As far as her medical eligibility, I would suggest contacting the agency directly, providing your income estimates, and having them run the numbers. Even if you create a prenup stating that neither of you are entitled to each other's assets, future assets are all marital so it may still affect eligibility.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.