Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I was on SSI/Disability at age 62 and received a full

Customer Question

I was on SSI/Disability at age 62 and received a full benefit amount. When my ex-husband finally cooperated, I began receiving 1/2 of his SS above my own SSD, which amounted to about $55. Now we are both over 67 (full retirement age) and both 71, and my amount of SSA from his retirement money has only increased to $100 a month because "you retired early" according to SS Reps. I've spoken to. I did not retire early -- I received the full retirement amount of disability, and my ex-husband continued to work from age 62 to 71 and his increased income and increased social security is not available to me up to the
50% amount because of the confusion of SSD and SSA at the time I turned 67. This is quite unfair, as I helped my ex-husband start his own business (I ran the office) and yet I am unable to get the full 50% of his social security, after 11 years of marriage. Can you help, or give me a place to get rules and regulations as they apply to divorced retirees?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, can you clarify for me

How old were you when you decided to apply for a divorced spouse retirement benefit?

Note: Please do not rate yet, I am not done with your answer, obviously, but gathering more necessary information. I am about to head into a meeting, and will be back a little later to see if you have had the opportunity to review here and respond. I can then complete my answer (unless new questions arise).