LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If I elect and supens my social secuirty at 66 can my wife

Customer Question

If I elect and supens my social secuirty at 66 can my wife recieve spousal benefits at a reduced amount at 62 and still freeze here own benefits till 66.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can certainly file and suspend upon reaching full retirement age,your wife can only preserve her own retirement benefit continuing to increase in value by taking her spouse benefit at age 66 or after. If she tries to take a spouse benefit any age before full retirement age, social security deems her to be also asking for her own benefit at that time and it will not continue to increase, despite the fact that she may be collecting a spouse benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can she take a reduced spousal benefit at 62 which is the same month I turn 66 and file and suspend my benefits. It will be higher than taking her own reduced 62 benefit.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Yes, the day you turn 66, you may file and suspend and allow your spouse to take a spouse benefit so long as she is at least 62 at the time she applies for the spouse benefit.

Do consider the phone call I offered you. Most people find that it is much more efficient in getting all of your questions answered.

I wish you well.

Doug