LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I get a widowers pensions Why does social security need

Customer Question

I get a widowers pensions Why does social security need information aboutmy retirement check from teachers retirement?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Social security needs to know how much you receive from the teacher's retirement because social security deducts money from your survivor benefit based on the amount of pension you receive from your employer.

If you are or will be receiving an annuity/pension payment from a retirement system where you did not pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). The WEP will reduce your Social Security benefit if you have fewer than 30 years of “substantial earnings” under Social Security. Substantial earnings are greater than those required to earn Social Security credits. To see what substantial earnings are by year see this link:

http://www.canyonsdistrict.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=922

This is a very complex area of Social Security law, and therefore, I will point you to this excellent primer on the WEP:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10045.pdf

Generally, if a person qualified for their non-social security pension after December 1, 1982, and they worked less than 20 years in a job where they paid social security taxes, then up to 1/2 of their non-social security pension benefit would be applied (deducted) against any expected Social Security benefit, including a survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug