Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am on SSI and every month they say I owe them more in an

Customer Question

I am on SSI and every month they say I owe them more in an over payment than I previously did and each time they decrease my check more. They just decreased my check from $ 225.75 to $91.00. I am just wondering what legal recourse I have. I am bipolar type 2 and disabled because I can not control my sleeping patterns well enough to work.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question -- so sorry to hear about your question. If you have proof that you have paid the overpayment, then you will go to your local office and show someone that you have paid the overpayment in full.

You can try to file a request for waiver of overpayment form, or a request for reconsideration. You can ask for a waiver stating that you cannot make the payment --- however, there's nothing you can really do to get any money back that they have held from you unless you didn't actually owe the money. Sorry, and please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On July 24,2015 they said I owed them $1,100 in an over payment and that they were decreasing my SSI. Then On August 1,2015 they said I owed them 1,900 and decreased my SSi again. Should I ask for a formal conference or what ? Seems someone that is working on my case doesn't understand math very well.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your follow up -- you will need to let social security know that you disagree with the overpayment ruling --- and it could be that they recalculated the amount -- so you will need to find out from them how that overpayment was calculated.