Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

MY HUSBAND DIED OCTOBER 7TH, 2014. THAT NIGHT WE RECEIVED S

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND DIED OCTOBER 7TH, 2014. THAT NIGHT WE RECEIVED HIS SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK IN THE BANK. THE BANK SENT THE MONEY BACK TO SOCIAL SECURITY IN MAY 2015. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED WORD FROM SOCIAL SECURITY ABOUT ME GETTING THE MONEY BACK OR WHAT THE NEXT PROCESS IS TO TAKE PLACE. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO. GLENNA STAGGS
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Glenna, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
With regard to your post:
"MY HUSBAND DIED OCTOBER 7TH, 2014. -------- I am very sorry for your loss.
"THAT NIGHT WE RECEIVED HIS SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK IN THE BANK. ------- That check applied to his entitlement for September, so it was owed him.
"THE BANK SENT THE MONEY BACK TO SOCIAL SECURITY IN MAY 2015. ------- They shouldn't have, since it was owed. Why did you let it sit there for so many months?
"I HAVE NOT RECEIVED WORD FROM SOCIAL SECURITY ABOUT ME GETTING THE MONEY BACK OR WHAT THE NEXT PROCESS IS TO TAKE PLACE. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO. GLENNA STAGGS ------ You need to go down to your SS office and bring proof of the money coming on 10/17, explain it was for September, that it was owed, and that it needs to be paid back. If they say they will work on it, when you get home, send a 'confirming' letter as to the meeting (who when where what) and mail to to the SSA certified rrr so you can prove that conversation later.
How old are you Glenna? Do you collect Social Security yourself?
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online SS legal resource!