Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband has been collecting SS since 66yrs old and he

Customer Question

My husband has been collecting SS since 66yrs old and he continues to work. He is 68 yrs old next month.
Should he be doing this ?
He is still paying into SS will this hurt him in the long run?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
We always pay into SS so long as we work. Period, no exceptions, generally speaking. And, depending on our "combined" income, our SS income may or may not be taxed - so working can effect that.
That said, by collecting at 66, your husband prevented his SS benefit amount from growing an extra 32%, which it can do via "delayed retirement credits". If he is getting $1000 now, had he waited to collect (perhaps he can afford to live on working income as he did before), he would be getting about $1320 per month, had he waited to start collecting.
The good news is, he should be able to suspend his benefits now, if he wants, til age 70 to at least gain a 16% raise (or thereabouts).
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online SS legal resource!