Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Not sure which professional to contact about this. My mother

Customer Question

Hi, not sure which professional to contact about this. My mother is a widow. She has a low income at this point. She owns her home and car. She has fairly high expenses compared to her income...health insurance out of pocket (she's self employed), medication,
insurance, etc etc. She has a small credit card debt and is also paying back her debt from her credit line that she borrowed from the bank against her mortgage. Are there any gov't programs for people who work but don't make enough money to live on. Where
do you go to look for this gov't aid? Also, she did not know that she would not qualify to receive her late husband's SS or pension of she remarried. She is in a process of a divorce. Will she be able to collect those once she is divorced? Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, with regard to your post:
"Hi, not sure which professional to contact about this. My mother is a widow. She has a low income at this point. She owns her home and car. She has fairly high expenses compared to her income...health insurance out of pocket (she's self employed), medication,
insurance, etc etc. -------- OK, first, she will want to determine if she has an appropriately price health plan! Has she bought insurance recently? Shopped around? if not, I suggest she go to the "marketplace / health exchange" - it can provide better coverage for the same amount, or for less, often times.
She has a small credit card debt and is also paying back her debt from her credit line that she borrowed from the bank against her mortgage.
Are there any gov't programs for people who work but don't make enough money to live on. ------- No, they typically expect us to trim out budgets so we live within our means. And ironically, those that DON'T work get the perks.
"Where do you go to look for this gov't aid? ------- There are none that I know of UNLESS she is low income. Income lower then expenses is not what they look at, because often expenses are choices, and a reduction of those choices would balance the equation. However, if she is low income, she could look into utility help possibly, and other forms of welfare - and those things are found out our county assistance office (usually Medicaid is located there, food stamp programs, etc.).
"Also, she did not know that she would not qualify to receive her late husband's SS or pension of she remarried. ------ How old was she when she remarried?
"She is in a process of a divorce. Will she be able to collect those once she is divorced? ------ YES, if she was OTHERWISE eligible but for the remarriage. If you want to review those criteria, I am happy to do so. I will ask that an optional "additional services" button be provided you, in case you wish for that extra service.
"Thank you -------- Welcome!
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online SS legal resource!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Joy for your quick response. What is considered low income? And yes..I am well aware of the fact that those who do not work at all are eligible for a lot of perks. :(
She was 53 when she was widowed and remarried at 57.

That depends on the program and can be very changing. But she may want to look at her state or country website for "medical assistance", food stamps, etc. But it is pretty LOW requirement, usually and depending where one lives. For instance, a person with $1000/mo income may be eligible for something - and if one has dependent children a higher income can still leave us qualified for some assistance. But again, as you can see, VERY low income :(

It is not federal social security, however, unless she were disabled and unable to work. Or an unmarried widow who meets the criteria, including age, or date of new marriage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you so much!

Welcome :)