Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

I WENT ON SS ABOUT 7 YRS AGO,WHEN THEY GAVE ME MY YEARS OF

Customer Question

I WENT ON SS ABOUT 7 YRS AGO,WHEN THEY GAVE ME MY YEARS OF CREDIT,THERE WAS 4 YEARS IT SAID I MADE NOTHING,THEY WERE MY 4 HIGHEST YEARS,THEY SAID THEY COULD,NT FIND THEM.THAT TIME PERIOD I WORKED FOR A UNION BISNESS MNG.THE UNION HAD A PROBLEM WE HAD TO TAKE OUR TAX PAYMENTS[ECT.] TO A IRS AGENT,
MARVIN OSTROFF,THE 4 YEARS THAT I AM MISSING WAS PAID TO HIM,WHERE DID THAT MONEY GO?ALSO HE AND I HAD A LITTLE CLASH,WHEN WE FIRST MET,PLEASE HELP,OR
STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
XXXX XXXX
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive a W-2 or 1099 from union business? You actually get credit for any Social Security wages as long as they were reported on a payroll tax return and a W-2 was generated. It does not matter whether any withholding was actually remitted to the IRS. It is the IRS's job to collect any withholding that has not been paid over to them.

If they did not give you a W-2 but instead a 1099, you would have needed to file Schedule C and SE which are attached to your 1040 form. Schedule SE is for self-employment income where you have to pay both the employee and employer portion of the FICA tax.

Let me know what type of tax statement you received documenting your earnings and withholding for those year. I hope that can answers your question. Let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Jonathan