Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My wife has been collecting s.s. disability terminal illness

Customer Question

My wife has been collecting s.s. disability for a terminal illness since age 64 and is turning 67 in November. I am turning 65 in September and work full time at a six figure job and intend to suspend my benefits until 70.
My question is: Should or can either of us start applying for spousel benefits? Which one of us and what should the timing be?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I thiink it likely you can but it depends on the amounts you both have earned on your respective records.
How much is your wife receiving?
And how much is your "primary insurance amount"?
If you dont know what your PIA is, let me know.
Please know that I have to leave soon, but I can check back tomorrow if you respond. I want you to have a thorough answer, and that is what I ended to deliver, but it is late for me at this point. Is that OK with you?
SIncerely,
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late inquiry. I don't know my PIA but my wife probably knows how to find out. I will also find out how much she is receiving monthly and get back to you. How do I contact you later?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
E- mail is the best contact for me.
You can go to ssa.gov/myaccount to get a passworded account and download your SS annual earnings statement. That will tell you your estimated PIA.
You can contact me here or if you want, I can offer "additional services" option to have private one on one email communications. You can use either and the former method (here) does not require additional cost.