Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Two years ago, Iwas told by S,S. that I had been overpaid

Customer Question

Hello,two years ago, Iwas told by S,S. that I had been overpaid due some the back pay I received from my workers comp case(still pending).They informed me that they would stop the payments to my dependent(now 16) until the money was repaid.The money was repaid about a year and a half ago.They still have not reinstated my daughters benefits.Two months ago I was told they would be reinstated in 45 days, still no reistatement.They will no longer even respond to my inquires. What should I do, I have tried to get an lawyer but they tell me I need an overpayment lawyer,so far I have not found one.Can you please advise me? Thanks for your attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
Marvin Knight
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Marvin, do you have documentation/proof positive (say, a letter from the SSA stating so), that your overpayment was repaid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I do not have a document stating repayment.I did speak to an s.s. supervisor in person saying he could see on his computer how they had made this error. He then spoke to his supervisor for about 20 min..returned and told me the matter would be taken care of between 2 weeks and 45 days.(that was 2 months ago). He will not return my calls and will not allow me to make an appointment to speak to him.Please advise
Do you yourself have proof of what was "owed" back, and do you also have proof of what you paid back? That could be a bank statements of what you used to receive, and bank statements of what you then didn't receive, because they were no longer sending you the same amount, if any?