PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I am eligible benefits from my x. neither of us have

Customer Question

I am eligible for spouse benefits from my x. neither of us have remarried. I am a federal worker under csr retirement and will max out soon. I will have to pay my x a certain amount for the years we were married (11). the spouse benefit would allow me to offset my payment to her if eligible. she has worled for 35 years so she should draw full benefits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax.

Can you confirm your question? Are you looking to offset your divorce agreement to split your retirement account with spousal social security?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I want to know is simple-----do I qualify for spouseal benefits even though I will get a full government pension and approx. what % I would get from her and what % is deducted from the ss benefit
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
You can qualify for spouse's social security benefits of your ex is eligible to claim. She does not need to claim, only be eligible. This also costs her nothing.
If both of you are over full retirement age, you could collect 50% of her full social security benefit as a spousal benefit. Discounts apply if you claim early.
The GPO, govt pension offset, applies to your plan. I am looking into that now.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
The discount is 2/ 3 of your govt pension. If you were looking at a spousal benefit of 1000 per month, and gift pension of 1200, you would only receive 200 in spousal social security.
Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.