CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
50756543

I started getting SSDI in 2006. My wife started early Social

Customer Question

I started getting SSDI in 2006. My wife started early Social Security retirement benefits at age 62 in 2010 - she has also been receiving a small extra amount each month, I think on my my SSDI. I am now 66 and have been changed over to Social Security retirement. She is now 67. (1) Can my wife now get 1/2 my retirement benefit which is more than her reduced early retirement benefit? (2) Will she be entitled to my full Social Security retirement benefit upon my death?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

The answer is yes and yes. She is entitled to the greater of her own benefit or 1/2 of yours. To get this she will need to go the any Social Security Administration office and bring with her photo ID, her Social Security card, proof of your marriage, and your Social Security number. Upon your demise, should that happen first, she will receive your full benefit for the remainder of her life. I recommend you do this as soon as possible since SSA only makes retroactive payments for a maximum of 6 months. You can locate a nearby SSA office at their web site which is www.ssa.gov