LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My brother died in 2003 @ the age of 43. He worked company

Customer Question

My brother died in 2003 @ the age of 43. He worked for same company for 25 years. I am his beneficiary. Am I entitled to his social security?.....he never married and had no children. our parents died in 1998.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Unfortunately, social security does not provide for any benefit payment to a sibling based on the death of the worker. Only child, spouse and parental benefits are possible, and the parental benefit is only payable if the parents were being supported by their child as of the time of the child's death.
Under the circumstances, you would not qualify for any social security benefit based on the death of your brother. I am sorry.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.
Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,
Doug