Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

I am 61 and my husband is 72 and disabled after a stroke and

Customer Question

I am 61 and my husband is 72 and disabled after a stroke and is a nursing home. Can I collect social security befits on his entitlement?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my goal here is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer possible.

I am sorry about your husband's condition. Unfortunately, Social Security retirement benefits are only available to those 62 and older. In addition, if you start collecting at age 62, you will collect a reduced benefit as you have not reached your full retirement age. Furthermore, if you decide to work while collecting Social Security when you are below your full retirement age, your benefits will be reduced by $1 for every $2 your earning exceed a threshold ($15,720 in 2015). However, when you do reach full retirement age your benefits will be recalculated as you would have earned more credits to your account. If you work after your full retirement age, your benefits are not reduced for employment earnings in any amount. You can visit this page http://goo.gl/7so2L6 for more information and to apply online for benefits when you do turn 62 (you should apply about three months before turning 62). You can follow this link http://goo.gl/GYSR3I to access Social Security's retirement planner.

I hope this answers your question, and I'm sorry to learn of your husband's condition. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan