Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

Can i borrow money from my disability

Customer Question

can i borrow money from my disability
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

I would need more information about your disability coverage to give you a definitive answer. However, as a general rule disability insurance only provides protection against lost income in the case you are unable to work. It does not have a cash value like whole life insurance where you are able to borrow against the cash surrender value of the policy. However, you can always apply for a personal loan and note that any current payout from a disability policy could be used as a basis to repay the loan. The problem with borrowing from disability is that the insurance company want you to get better and return to work so it can end its payments. The earlier you get better, the less they pay. With whole life insurance, the insurance company is obligated to pay the cash value under any circumstances so taking a loan against a whole life insurance policy is possible.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan