Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

I have been receiving SS Disability since 2013. SS wants to

Customer Question

I have been receiving SS Disability since 2013. SS wants to reduce the amount because of a pension I am receiving for work done in Canada decades ago (I moved here in 1990 and my SS is based entirely on contributions since then). Combining my time working and paying into the Canadian (CPP) system with my subsequent covered work here totals well over 30 years of 'substantial earnings'. I am now at the ALJ stage of appeal. Any advice? Thanks! SR
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Without knowing too much about the specifics of the case, I would suggest that you read the US-Canada Social Security treaty, in the attached pdf file or at http://goo.gl/rKG4Hw. Any reduction in benefits would almost certainly be based upon this agreement and your should understand it well and any arguments you make to the ALJ should be based upon its provisions in addition to Social Security law as well.

I hope this helps and let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan