Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I will be 66 in December I just got divorced in November

Customer Question

I will be 66 in December I just got divorced in November 2014 if I go on my former spouse how much will I receive, and can I still work and receive the SS
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. You can work and draw a benefit without reduction as you are full retirement age. For an ex spouse benefit you would get an amount equal to half the spouses benefit if you were married 10 years or more. To find out the dollar amount call 1-***-***-**** as we do not have access to this type of record. If you can afford to get the ex spouse benefit your own benefit will grow an additional 32% from age 66 to 70. You can then switch to your own benefit at age 70 if it is larger. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive.