Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I was born in 1952. I am currently on SSD and my wife turns

Customer Question

Hey, I was born in 1952. I am currently on SSD and my wife turns 62 in December and is currently out of work. My question is: can my wife collect on my disability and not collect on her own SS until full retirement.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not. When we are under Full Retirement age, and apply for early retirement, we automatically get the largest of the 2 benefits: one's own or spousal. But, if it is spousal, they first pay our own to us, then top it off with a spousal boost, thereby ensuring that our own is permanently reduced.

For this reason, it is often better for her to wait til FRA to file, at which point she is allowed to file only for spousal, regardless, thereby allowing her own to grow to age 70 - which is an 80% increase over what she'd get if taking at age 62.