LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My sister is 66 and started to receive her SS benefit at age

Customer Question

My sister is 66 and started to receive her SS benefit at age 62, $600.00 per month. She has had to live with me because the senior housing lists are very long her, approx. 4 years. I have essentially supported her and had her put her monthly check in her bank. I am 71, need to retire and sell my condo. I have recently found out that my sister could qualify for a supplemental benefit because of her low income. Obviously this would be very helpful for her as she goes out on her own. I realize I made a mistake in having her bank her check each month, in that, having that 7 thousand in the bank probably will prevent her from receiving SSI despite her clearly being poor, and my inability to continue to support her. Any suggestions?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
The $7,000 will in deed prevent her from qualifying for SSI. However, she may spend the month down in order to get below the $2000 in non-exempt assets that she may have and be eligible for SSI.
Exempt assets that don’t count toward SSI qualification include a house that she may own, a vehicle, a prepaid burial arrangement, clothing, jewelry and various items of personal property.
Here is an article that tells all about the assets your sister can own that do not count against the $2,000 in assets she may have:
http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/how-much-can-i-have-in-assets-and-get-disability.html
After she has accumulated he exempt assets and has less than $2,000 in countable assets, and is ready to relocate from your home and your support, she may apply for SSI.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug