dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

According to what he hear from other people regarding the

Customer Question

According to what he hear from other people regarding the monthly amounts of S.S. payments they receive, the amount my wife and I receive is much less. I paid into S.S. over 60 years and wonder how the amount we receive now is calculated. It seems like with everything we have paid into the funds, we should be receiving a greater amount each month now. We would appreciate an explanation of this. Walter R. Meissner###-##-#### ***** A. Meissner###-##-####
Thank you for your reply.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Walter, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
Have you taken a look at your annual earnings statement provided by the SSA recently? If you go to ssa.gov/my account, you should be able to create a passworded account to then retrieve that document.
1) Do the 60 years show up? Showing the amounts of annual earnings you paid SS taxes on?
2) How much are you getting and how much is your wife getting?
3) IS your wife taking on her own record? Or a spousal benefit off of your record?