Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am receiving disability and ssi. I was involved in a car

Customer Question

I am receiving disability and ssi. I was involved in a car accident and am receiving a settlement. I need questions answered about how it will affect my benefits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You may ask a question here.

First, confirm what benefit you are receiving. You indicate you are receiving 2 benefits. Is that correct?

If so, how much do you receive from each?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disabilty and ssi

ball park is fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
609.00 from disability, 144.00 from ssi i also get 83.78 for caretakers

OK, to clarify for you, SSI IS a disability benefit.

So, you get 144 from SSI.

What kind of disability program are you getting the 609 from? Is it Social Security (which is not SSI)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Yes, I am sill waiting for your answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to do a wis pact trust. I want to keep some to pay money owed to people tha i borrowed. How much can i keep upfront that wont go in the trust?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also how will it affect my ssi

OK, because you are not answering my questions that are needed for a specific answer, I will understand that you wish for the more general:

Any money or other countable resources you have that exceed $2000 if you are single or $3000 if you are married, will cause you to be ineligible for SSI. As such, you should consider not spending any of the SSI money that may (likely) continue to arrive until SSA learns it must shut it off, because those moneys will be an "overpayment" and you will have to pay it back, either directly or via NOT getting SSI payments (or SSD payments) when the time comes that you are again eligible for SSI.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online SS legal resource!
Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:
1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR
2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.
If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!
Sincerely,
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional