Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

On July 31,2015 I received a fax from Social Security

Customer Question

On July 31,2015 I received a fax from Social Security Administration it says:_
We are writing to you about your Social Security benefits.
What You Should Know,
Based on the information we have, we cannot pay benefits beginning July 2015.
We cannot pay you starting July 2015.We need more information before we can start
your payments again.
Information About Medicare
We will continue to charge a monthly premium for your medical insurance under Medicare.
We will send your first bill for the premiums within a month,Each bill after that will be for a 3-month period.
What You Need To Do (Please contact us within 30 days to give us the information we need.We cannot pay benefits unless you give us this information).
If You Disagree With the Decision,you have the right to appeal.We will review your case and look at any new facts you have. A person who did not make the first decision will decide your case.We will review the parts of the decision that you think are wrong and correct any mistakes.We will make a decision that may or may not be in your favor.
You have 60 days to ask for an appeal in writing.
You can file an appeal with any Social Security office.You must ask for an appeal in writing.Please use our"Request for Reconsideration" form,SSA-561.
They also,mentioned the use of their Form SSA-1696.
I do not know what they meant by the need for more information,as that related to Medicare (which I went to them before and informed them that I never received the card,and they said that it has been sent to me some time ago which I never received.
I appreciate your review to the above mentioned issue.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

When someone enrolls in Medicare and they are not collecting Social Security benefits, they are billed for the Medicare premiums. What type of benefits were you applying for? Retirement, disability, etc.? Was any reason given for the denial? I have attached copies of the forms they mentioned. It seems unusual that they sent you a fax. Have you sent Social Security faxes before?

It might be helpful if you could upload copies of your correspondence received from the SSA.

Please answer the above questions so I can get a better idea of what is going on.

Thanks, Jonathan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am receiving a monthly retirement since several years ago,then I joined the President Obama Medical plan since,Then they started deducting the medicare Premium from my retirements until receiving a fax from their remote ID about Important Information from :-
Mid-America Program Service Center in Kansas City,Missouri with a (Claim Number).Thank You in Advance,

I think its strange that you received a fax from Social Security instead of a letter in the mail. This would make me think this is a scam trying to get you to reveal personal information and not really from Social Security. However, the fax refers to actual Social Security forms and Social Security does have a Mid-America Service Center in Kansas City, MO. You could try calling Social Security at(###) ###-####or you can set up an online account with Social Security by going to https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do to find more information about your account. One of the online services available is you can get a benefit verification letter automatically to confirm your benefits. It might also have information about why they might stop paying benefit. Since you will likely be on hold for a long time when call them on the phone, I would first try setting up an online account to verify there is a problem and what can be done about it. You can find other ways to contact the SSA by visiting http://www.socialsecurity.gov/agency/contact/ and you can locate the nearest Social Security office. But I think your best first step is to check online and get the current status of your account.

I hope this information help and good luck with this. Let me know if I can answer anything else. Jonathan