dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I owe back taxes and state taxes. The IRS has already

Customer Question

I owe back taxes for federal and state taxes. The IRS has already attached 15% of my social security income. Can the state now come in and take another 15%. I was told they could but then I read where they had to share with the IRS or 7 1/2 %. I'm in I'll. Which is true. Baron
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

The state and federal and levy at the same time but the maximum that can be attached is 15%. Regardless, you need to meet with a tax advisor to work out a repayment plan for you which will lower the amount that is being deducted. Please do not wait.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the 15% times each garnished. Or will it be 30% if you add the two. Or 15% total for both . that's still not clear me. And I don't want a tax advisor.
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

15% total.