LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am eligible to collect a state pension right now. I am

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I am eligible to collect a state pension right now. I am going to be 63 yrs old and have 18.7 years of state service. I do not plan to collect my social security benefits for a couple more years. I have 20 years of paying into the system. When the time comes to file I understand my social security benefits will be reduced by an amount equal to two thirds of my government pension. If I collect my pension this year from the state will this effect my future social security benefits??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
No, starting your state pension now will not have any effect on your future social security benefits. In fact, by waiting to collect your social security your benefits will continue to increase by about 6% a year between now and age 66, and at 8% between age 66 and 70.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug