PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My husband's social security is greater than mine. Can I

Customer Question

My husband's social security is greater than mine. Can I receive a portion of his social security payment to supplement mine
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

In the right circumstances, you can boost your benefit payout by claiming a spousal benefit.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

A spousal benefit is at most 50% of the higher benefit spouse. That is reduced to the claiming spouse if you originally claimed early (before full retirement age).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What circumstances?
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

from: http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html

Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

Note: If you are divorced, you may still be able to get benefits on your ex-spouse's record. For information on the requirements for Divorced Spouse's Benefits, read "If You Are Divorced."

You can receive the spouse's benefit no matter what your age is if you are caring for his or her child who is also receiving benefits.

How Much Will I Receive?

If You Or Your Current Spouse Are Full Retirement Age

How Do I Apply?

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Expert again:

The math varies for each applicant. If you think there is a larger benefit available, you have to apply for it (it isn't automatic). There is a link to the application online screen above.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.