PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My husband died and was drawing SS at the time of s death.

Customer Question

My husband died and was drawing SS at the time of his death. Do I have to quit work to get his money or can I work and draw his SS? I need the insurance
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
from SSA:
"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:
receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.
begin receiving benefits as early as age 50 if you are disabled AND the disability started before or within seven years of the worker's death.
Note: If a widow or widower who is caring for the worker's children receives Social Security benefits, he or she is still eligible if their disability starts before those payments end or within seven years after they end.
A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** to request an appointment. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****.)"
If you have reached age 60, you can apply for survivor benefits. You do not need to quit work to apply.
Thanks for asking at Just Answer, and good luck. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.