Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

DISABILITY WILL IT GO UP NEXT WEEK WHEN I BECOME 62 AND AM

Customer Question

I AM GETTING DISABILITY WILL IT GO UP NEXT WEEK WHEN I BECOME 62 AND AM IM GETTING THE MAX BENIFIT AMOUNT.WHICH IS 1800.00
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
OK, it sounds like you are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDIB). These continue until you are of full retirement age. It is not effected by turning 62, which is 'early' retirement age. If yoiu were not deemed disabled but needed SS benefits at 62, you could start collecting them, but they'd be cut by about 30%, so you'd only get about 1200, forever. However, because you are deemed disabled, you were given your full primary insurance amount (you say it is 1800), which is good. When you turn 66+, you can keep that full amount, but it will then be called "retirement" and you will no longer be among the 'disabled' status for SS purposes.
So NO, your benefit will not go up due to turning 62. If you became not disabled, it could arguably go down, if you decided to collect retirement early at 62, by a full 30%. You are getting the max one can get who has your earnings history and became disabled when you did. And that max amount will also be your full retirement amount.
The only way to increase retirement benefit is to suspend them at age 66+ to gain delayed retirement credits until age 70.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your Online Social Security Professional