Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I've been on SS disability since '96. I never applied

Customer Question

I've been on SS disability since '96. I never applied for Part B because I was insured through my husband's employer..up until 5/30/15. I applied for Part B on 7/29/15 at my local SS office. I signed up for a supplemental insurance. I was told I should be getting my card in a few days. Yesterday SS sent me a letter stating I was not eligible for medical insurance coverage because I filed too late. I also cannot apply for Part D until October. My husband is on unemployment now, and nobody can tell me what to do now. The supplemental insurance company already deducted the first payment. I'm totally eligible..what should I do now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry to hear about your issue! I know it's frustrating.

You must apply for benefits within 2 full months -- which it sounds like you did. If Medicare is giving you the runaround the easiest and cheapest thing to do is contact your congressman or senator - they will already have resources set up to contact Medicare on your behalf and this happens every day.

Now, the rule of thumb is any time you have to do something involving the government, do it right away - don't wait to the last minute. That causes problems.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today :-) Thanks so much!