Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was a US Resident and paid tax and have a 401 (k) that I

Customer Question

I was a US Resident and paid tax and have a 401 (k) that I am drawing down. Now I am a non-resident and spend 2 to 4 months per year in USA
Soc Sec sends me an annual statement showing how much I am entitled to (they send this to an Australian address). I tried to fill in online but failed horribly
Am I entitled to this money -- about $1200 per month
Thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Beginning at age 62, you can apply for SS provided you have at least 40 work credits, about ten years of work, in the US. To apply, as you are out of the country, you must apply at the US Embassy or Consulate office only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why can't
I do this online as I fill all my data in - soc sec, tel, us residence but says 'error'
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Because, when you enter your SS #, the system knows that you are out of the country. Sorry. You must apply in person.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in USA now for 2 months but i guess consulate has to be in Australia?
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I'm so sorry that there was a lot of missing information in this set of questions. Here are some questions that I have for you, and what they mean for you depending on how you answer them.

1) Did you work in the US for at least 10 years, or were you married to an American worker who worked at least 10 years (and did that marriage last at least 10 years if it ended in divorce, and if you are divorced or widowed are you currently single) --- if you answered YES to these questions, then you are entitled to a benefit.

2) if you did not work in the US for at least 10 years (40 quarters, doesn't have to be consecutive) then you would not be eligible for US Social security benefits.

3) IF you are in the US right now, you can go to any office and talk to them, although I find that you may get more competent responses by contacting the international office:

Last Two Digits Are:Phone Numbers Are:

between 00 and 24

(###) ###-####/p>

between 25 and 49

(###) ###-####/p>

between 50 and 74

(###) ###-####/p>

between 75 and 99

(###) ###-####/p>

If You Have Applied for Benefits

Benefits If you are calling about a pending claim for Social Security benefits or other non-claim issue, call(###) ###-####

Here's the office of international operations information online - this may be more helpful to you.

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/phones.html

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that i may receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks so much :-)