dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife is currently receiving Social Security. I am now 66

Customer Question

My wife is currently receiving Social Security. I am now 66 and was told that her benefits would increase if I kept working and didn't take mine. Is that correct? If so how would we go about it.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

That is not correct. Note, you can defer SS until age 70 when you will be entitled to the maximum benefit based on your earnings. But she will still receive her same amount adjusted for any cost of living increases. Likewise, if you were to pass away, she is entitled to the higher of the two benefits. So, in that scenario, by you deferring, if you were to pass away after age 70, she would receive more. But simply by you still working, when you both start collecting, her benefits are not affected.