How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13505
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is 70 years old. She has been widowed three times.

Customer Question

My sister is 70 years old. She has been widowed three times. Her first husband died in 1979, and they were married 17 years. Her last two experiences left her broke and penniless. She worked all these years in the past before 65, and can barely get by with 1000 a month. Is she illigible to tap into her first husbands social security account since they were married a long time, and he was a good wage earner?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Oh MY! Yes! She was married over 10 years, and he has passed. She can get divorced widow benefits, most likely and the best part? 100% of HIS benefit. If that exceeds her $1000 mo., she will want to take that asap.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

She can not apply for this online - so she will want to go into her local SSA with birth certificate, marriage license, photo id and a death certificate if she has, for that particular husband.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!