Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I will be 62 in October and have been actively employed

Customer Question

I will be 62 in October and have been actively employed until this year. I had a horrific accident on 1/18/15 breaking both my left leg and left arm. Surgeries on both but leg very major and still going to therapy trying to strengthen and learn to walk. Knee replacement will be the next step since breaking tibia and basically mutilating my leg (metal plates from original surgery to be removed since they're right at my knee when replacement done), so looks like this whole year I'm out of commission as far as employment goes. I am a licensed real estate agent and have worked on sight for a builder for a number of years. I am in hopes of returning next year with a new knee and the ability to be mobile again. Question is: during this year am I entitled to some kind of disability income? Do you need additional information? Joan Wise
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Joan, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
With regard to your post:
"I will be 62 in October and have been actively employed until this year. I had a horrific accident on 1/18/15 breaking both my left leg and left arm. ------ So sorry!
"Surgeries on both but leg very major and still going to therapy trying to strengthen and learn to walk. Knee replacement will be the next step since breaking tibia and basically mutilating my leg (metal plates from original surgery to be removed since they're right at my knee when replacement done), so looks like this whole year I'm out of commission as far as employment goes. ----- OK.
" I am a licensed real estate agent and have worked on sight for a builder for a number of years. I am in hopes of returning next year with a new knee and the ability to be mobile again. Question is: during this year am I entitled to some kind of disability income? Do you need additional information? Joan Wise ------- If you will be legally disabled under SSA rules for at least 12 months (even if the 12 haven't passed, but medical evidence it is clear you will be so disabled for at least that long), then yes, you could file for SSDIB (Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits). By "disabled" SSA generally means, unable to do any occupation (even simple sedentary) that exists in significant numbers, on a full time basis. So depending on how limiting your impairments are currently (and they sound pretty bad. If you can't walk at all, there is a good chance you are disabled, and particularly if sitting for any length of time causes issues (i.e. undue pain, swelling, etc.)
If you would like to know that process or learn about representation in such a case that involves no retainer, please feel free to use the "additional services" option - although totally optional.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!