Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Is it possible to draw social security benefits from a man I

Customer Question

Is it possible to draw social security benefits from a man I was married to for 10 years before his death or after his death, and how much. My benefits are very low, $1543, had to take benefits at an early age because of fall and long-term disability. He is 73 and worked a full career. Also, he is married for the third time. Also, how can I get his social security number if possible to collect before he dies. Will also need to find my record of marriage and divorce 10 years later.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

If he dies: That will depend on whether taking a "divorced survivor" benefit, which can be as much as 100% of his benefit amount, would exceed your benefit you have now. While you benefit is far above average, if he was a very high income earned, he could have a benefit amount upwards of $2600 or more.

WHile he is alive, however, you can only get something less than 50% of his benefit - which likely would not exceed your current nice rate of $1543. But, it never hurts to look into it.

The SSA can look him up even if you (like most people) don't know his SS#. A worker MAY give you a hard time, suggesting you can't file for it if you don't know it, but that is false. You do have to prove you married him and divorced him, however, so you will want that marriage cert. and divorce decree - and often you can find the SS# ***** in there. But if not, birthdate, full legal name, etc., should work.

I will add an 'additional services' option for you in the event you need some additional one-on-one, via private email etc.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!