How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4199
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married on September 22, 1984--and divorced November

Customer Question

I was married on September 22, 1984--and divorced November 21, 2013. Am I entitled to spousal benefits from my ex-husband? If so, at what age?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
You may be eligible, since you were married the required 10+ years to 'vest' in your ex's work history and spousal benefits. There are other requirements: If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:You are unmarried;You are age 62 or older;Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits andThe benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount(or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits atyour full retirement age.If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record we will pay that amount first. But if:the benefit on his or her record is a higher amount, you will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount (reduced for age).Note: The benefits do not include any delayed retirement credits your ex-spouse may have reached full retirement age and you are eligible for a spouse's benefit and your own retirement benefit, you have a choice.You can choose to receive only the divorced spouse's benefits now and delay receiving retirement benefits until a later date. If retirement benefits are delayed, a higher benefit may be received at a later date based on the effect of Delayed Retirement Credits.If you:continue to work while receiving benefits, the retirement benefit earnings limit still applies. If you are eligible for benefits this year and are still working, you can use ourearnings test calculator to see how those earnings would affect your benefit payments.will also receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security, such as government or foreign work, your Social Security benefit on your ex-spouse's record may be affected. Note: The amount of benefits you get has no effect on the amount of benefits your ex-spouse or their current spouse may receive.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
If your ex is 62 or older, you can claim when you are 62+ and have been divorced for two+ years. You will be eligible November 2015 if you otherwise qualify. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer