LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Does Social Security ever contact a SS receiver by phone, to

Customer Question

Does Social Security ever contact a SS receiver by phone, to offer a new status?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. What do you mean by a "new status"?
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new status would be Social Security disability
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a phone call from a male voice saying that I might be entitled to Social Security disability, because it was a phone call and not a correspondence on official paper, I hung up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another call was not received, confirming my suspicion as to the validity of the call.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
Thanks for the clarification.
No, Social Security does not call people to tell them that they might be eligible for benefits of any kind---ever.
The call was undoubtedly a scam, likely intended to try to obtain your social security number and other personal identifying information.
All contacts by the social security administration are via letter through the USPS and unless you call them for some reason and ask them to return a call to you---then you would ever get a call from social security.
You were wise to have ended the conversation with the person who called you.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug