How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37019
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I report the death of my wife?

Customer Question

How do I report the death of my wife?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Communication of any kind with the social security administration can be very difficult due to terrible under-staffing by the government.
If you cannot reach social security by phone at 1-***-***-**** (try calling and see if they give you the opportunity to have them call you back when they have time) then you can go to your local social security field office and report the death.
Alternatively if you ask the funeral director to take care of this for you, they generally are happy to do so and in fact most directors automatically report the death to social security as soon as they take possession of the remains.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you well,