LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

How do I report the death of my wife?

Customer Question

How do I report the death of my wife?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Communication of any kind with the social security administration can be very difficult due to terrible under-staffing by the government.
If you cannot reach social security by phone at 1-***-***-**** (try calling and see if they give you the opportunity to have them call you back when they have time) then you can go to your local social security field office and report the death.
Alternatively if you ask the funeral director to take care of this for you, they generally are happy to do so and in fact most directors automatically report the death to social security as soon as they take possession of the remains.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you well,
Doug