LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Before I went to work federal government I paid in

Customer Question

Before I went to work for the federal government I paid in about $900 and my employers paid in about $600. Because I worked for the federal government most of my working lifetime I am not eligible for social security. Am I able to recoup the funds I put in while I worked in the private sector? If so, how do I go about doing that? Thank you in advance for your help?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Unfortunately, social security is a tax we pay---much like state and federal income tax----and because it is a tax and not a specific deposit to an account in your name, there is no process for recovering these tax payments that you and your employer made. They were just put into a huge account for the payment of benefits by everyone.
I'm sorry, but the law does not allow for you to recover those social security taxes that you paid while you were working in the public sector.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.
Thank you,
Doug