LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If my ex-husband qualifies for $3,500 plus credits. He is

Customer Question

If my ex-husband qualifies for $3,500 plus credits. He is 67 and still not collecting his social security. We were married 17 years. What amount can I collect from his social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If your ex is entitled to $3500 per month in social security benefits, and he is now over age 66, you may apply for an ex-spouse benefit and if you are at least 66 years old now, then you would receive an amount equal to 50% of the benefit he was entitled to at age 66---which based on your statement of his benefit, would result in a benefit to you of about $1,700 per month.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug