Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I AM A RETIRED SCHOOL TEACHER WHO HAS WORKED 16 YEARS TEACHING

Customer Question

I AM A RETIRED SCHOOL TEACHER WHO HAS WORKED 16 YEARS TEACHING AND THE REST IN THE WORKFORCE. BECAUSE I CAN NOT GET MORE THAN 277. FROM SS MY RETIREMENT IS ONLY 1037.48. A MONTH FROM MY TEACHING PENTION. I AM 67 YEARS OLD AND THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT TO LIVE ON. WHEN MY HUSBAND DIES, WILL I BE ABLE TO GET HIS SS INCOME TO HELP WITH MY LIVING EXPENSES. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. JO ANNE
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joanne, it sounds like your SS benefit has been re-calculated use the applicable SS monthly percentage rate for your lifetime average monthly income after the SSA learned the actual numbers (which conflicted with the estimate you had before you applied, when SSA thought you were a poorer lifetime earner and gave you a welfare rate) - I.e. the Windfall Elimination Provision.When your husband dies, predeceasing you, you can collect 100% of HIS benefit, instead of your own, but this too will likely be affected by the Government Pension Offset - this means that 2/3 of your government pension (say, 670) will be substracted from your survivor benefit - and you will get the balance of your survivor benefit (plus your whole government pension amount. I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "ToStephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answerit. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online legal resource!