Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

My wife and i were married yearsdivorced in 2003 she

Customer Question

my wife and i were married for 35 yearsdivorced in 2003 she died in 2006 can i collect on her sswhen she would have turned 66
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:
•You are unmarried;
•You are age 62 or older;
•Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
•The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:
http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will assist you further.
If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,
Barb