LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My wife is 15 years younger than me, is she eligible

Customer Question

My wife is 15 years younger than me, is she eligible for any social security pay?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. No one is eligible for social security retirement benefits---either their own or a spouse benefit--- until they reach at least age 62. The most that a spouse can collect through a spouse benefit is 50%, but that is only if they apply for the benefit at age 66. If your wife were to apply for her spouse benefit as early as she is able, that would be age 62 and she would receive only 35% of your benefit as her spouse benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug