LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am retired and receive my full bennefits,can I ask

Customer Question

I am retired and receive my full bennefits,can I ask for extra bennefits from my ex husbands social security
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I'm afraid that social security will only pay one benefit at a time to recipients. However, it is possible that your ex-spouse benefit could pay you more than you are receiving on your own record, and if that is the situation, then you can ask social security to switch your benefit from your own retirement benefit to an ex-spouse benefit. Keep in mind that an ex-spouse benefit can at most pay you 50% of the amount of your ex-spouse's full retirement benefit. If that benefit is not greater than the benefit you are presently receiving, then you would not receive that benefit. To determine whether you can get a greater benefit by switching, all you need do is contact social security and apply for the ex-spouse benefit and they will tell you whether doing so will be of help to you/. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.I wish you and yours the best in 2015,Doug